Monday, January 21, 2013

Every time you spend money, you're casting a vote for the kind of world you want.

I am thinking a lot about this. First: I am not a guy who does everything good. Concerning to living in a environmental sustainable way, buying the right stuff I have a way to go.

And: the other day I had a talk with a friend, and together we came to this:

Every time you are spending one Dollar, or Euro, buying something in a shop you say with that gesture: " Thank you. Thank you for what you did for me up until now. From the start of the value chain till this moment". At the vegetable shop, at the butcher, at the gasoline station, at the restaurant, actually, everywhere you buy something.

But, you also say with spending that Dollar or Euro: " Please, do it again, put the whole chain in motion again". 

And here it becomes interesting. 

First: do we have the notion what needed to be done in the value chain for me to buy the carrots at the vegetable shop, the chicken fillet at the butcher, the gasoline at the gasoline station or the pizza in the restaurant.

Second: as an individual we have an enormous power to say to the right companies: Thank you, do it again. By buying from the good or better producers and shops.

My question: what do you know about the products you buy, and are you voting  with your money at the right shop?