Monday, January 28, 2013

In case of fire, do not use elevator.

One day I was in the elevator in the Central Train Station of Amsterdam, moving from one university building to the other.

In the elevator there was a sign which said: In case of fire, do not use elevator. 

Under this sentence there was written something which really made me think. (and laugh). I made a picture and when I came to my class, I showed the picture, without the written part, and asked the students: " what do you think was written under this sign, it starts with : use......."?

They came up with different solutions: "use the stairs, use the fire-exit, use your mobile to call the fire-department, use the fire extinguisher, use the intercom " where some of them.

I showed them the picture, and everybody was laughing. 

And, this is a basic, logic form of thinking in solutions which fit the problem, we forgot. 

Because of all the information we get, everyday, we forget the most obvious, simple and most pragmatic solutions. Think about it.